Yesterday (Sunday 4 December 2016) I joined the Anti-Austerity Alliance using their online form and PayPal facility.
I was motivated to do so by comments of AAA TDs about breaking with capitalism and how the ongoing crisis of capitalism makes the creation of a workers’ party (as a mass or at least semi-mass phenomenon) a top priority in the struggle for the socialist transformation of society.
I completely agree with these strategic goals.
The requirement for Anti Austerity Alliance membership is straight-forward – agreement with what the AAA stands for:
What We Stand For
- Abolition of the Property/Home Tax. No to Water taxes, metering & to privatisation and profiting from water.
- Defend our council and public services. No more cuts or erosion of worker’s pay and conditions.
- Our Councillors will not go into coalitions or make deals with the austerity Parties
- (FF, FG, LP) and will not participate in junkets or the gravy train.
- We support a united movement of all affected by home taxes and austerity. We oppose divisions based on race, nationality, gender or age.
- End the bailout of the banks and bondholders. No to all Austerity – ordinary people have paid enough.
- Tax the Wealthy as the alternative to austerity: For progressive taxation on the wealthy and corporate sector.
- Public investment to create jobs, stop emigration and provide housing and socially useful infrastructure.
- Planning for the community, not for developers or vested interests.
- For mortgage debt write-down to real house values to keep struggling families in their homes. The banks should be run in the public interest and to assist in economic recovery.
- Save our health, education and social services – reverse the cuts and restore staff levels.
(Taken from the AAA web site)
People who read my blog or know me in person will be aware that while my overall political views go far beyond this I would agree these are supportable reforms within the context of capitalism – as is true for any Socialist Party member of the AAA who like me also wants to go further than this and completely end capitalism as a social system.
I look forward to participating in the struggle to build a workers’ party with a programme capable of overthrowing the rotten capitalist system.