To commemorate the first publishing of Marx’s Capital the Socialist Party of Ireland posted the following on their Facebook page:
Words from Karl Marx’s “Capital”, published 149 years ago today.
The richest 1% of our planet now owns more wealth that the other 99%.
We need to fight to end the parasitic and exploitative system of capitalism and fight for a democratic, socialist society where the wealth is productively used for the benefit of all.
This is of course a nice sentiment from the Socialist Party but I wonder how this will translate itself into their day-to-day politics.
For instance what will their upcoming alternative budget look like?
Will it have the political courage to outline the need “to fight to end the parasitic and exploitative system of capitalism” and give the broad outline of what “a democratic, socialist society where the wealth is productively used for the benefit of all” would look like?
Or will it be their usual advice to the existing capitalist government on how they could use greater taxation of corporations and the rich to more fairly redistribute wealth within capitalism?
The irony that their usual “tax the rich” approach flies in the face of Marx’s own criticism (see https://revolutionaryprogramme.wordpress.com/2016/05/22/karl-marx-on-taxing-the-rich/) is no doubt completely lost on them.