15
Sep
16

Socialist Party – sentiment and practical politics

To commemorate the first publishing of Marx’s Capital the Socialist Party of Ireland posted the following on their Facebook page:

sp_marx_quote

 
Words from Karl Marx’s “Capital”, published 149 years ago today.

The richest 1% of our planet now owns more wealth that the other 99%.

We need to fight to end the parasitic and exploitative system of capitalism and fight for a democratic, socialist society where the wealth is productively used for the benefit of all.

This is of course a nice sentiment from the Socialist Party but I wonder how this will translate itself into their day-to-day politics.

For instance what will their upcoming alternative budget look like?

Will it have the political courage to outline the need “to fight to end the parasitic and exploitative system of capitalism” and give the broad outline of what “a democratic, socialist society where the wealth is productively used for the benefit of all” would look like?

Or will it be their usual advice to the existing capitalist government on how they could use greater taxation of corporations and the rich to more fairly redistribute wealth within capitalism?

The irony that their usual “tax the rich” approach flies in the face of Marx’s own criticism (see https://revolutionaryprogramme.wordpress.com/2016/05/22/karl-marx-on-taxing-the-rich/) is no doubt completely lost on them.

Advertisements

0 Responses to “Socialist Party – sentiment and practical politics”



  1. Leave a Comment

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s


Categories

Archive


%d bloggers like this: